Saturday, October 2, 2010

Halloween (Remake)

One of many remakes in the Horror genre, Halloween is helmed by none other than Rob Zombie who brings his.....unique...direction to one of the most popular slashers.

We start out before the bulk of the story takes place, and get to explore the roots of Michael Myers'. This is where I'm iffy. I do enjoy the initiative to explore him a bit, but I think the way Zombie went about it was a bit wrong. To me, Michael being a product of the environment we see is too predictable and obvious. Compare that to seeing a sweet innocent child from a normal home become the iconic slasher. The latter is much more scary in my opinion.

Following the exploration into Michael's past we arrive at present day. After the security guard royally messes things up, Michael escapes from his imprisonment after wreaking a bit of havoc. Quickly, he begins to head for Haddonfield where his younger sister Laurie Strode lives with her adopted family.

This is where things start to become a lot more familiar for those of us who have seen the original. While there is still a lot of differences, viewers can easily guess who's going to be getting brutally attacked next.

In the end, this movie is middling for me. The story, new ideas and characters are pretty good for me. However I do have a problem with the fact that Rob Zombie takes everything to extreme levels. Swearing, derogatory terms, and sexually explicit language seem to make up the bulk of the dialogue, violence and blood is also taken to extremes. The movie will probably be enjoyed by fans of Rob Zombie, or by those able to push past the things I myself did not enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment